The exposed midrif on the female shadow armor sprites is seriously tacky.

Discussion in 'Update Discussion' started by KFK, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KFK Squirrel

It's conspicuously childish in a game with such low-fidelity graphics in the first place that one can't even use sex appeal as a defense. This isn't Lineage II. To seize upon the worst tropes of female armor design, without even providing cheesecake shows a remarkable dearth of sensitivity, not to mention extremely questionable artistic discretion (the question being, why even do that?).

IB4 Typical dismissive guy stuff/It's just a game/nothing to get worked up over
    IB4 The law of inverse female armor coverage
    IB4 Gamer Girl Ex Oh Ex Oh
    I hope you can do better than that.
    Delra and Osmedirez like this.
  2. MiniManolinho Clinger

Uhh, what? I don't really understand you rant because there are no screenshots for me to know it.
    I seriously don't get what you mean here. You're complaining on the "Nudity" of the female sprites for Shadow Armor?
    Wired likes this.
  3. DevilBro Cursed Skull

to make the female armor look different .
    Cedrik likes this.
  4. Urdnot Green Slime

She is complaining that when the female wears shadow armor it shows her stomach or "midrif" region of her sprite body. I think it looks stupid too but that is just me, something big to complain about is the "new" terrain generation to me it looks stupid just floating pieces of dirt and corruption always being on both sides of you spawn
  5. VoteGrope2012 Green Slime

lulz @ angry feminist
  6. kirabook ModMin

Honestly... you're upset because 1 armor is showing a little skin? :/
    No concern about the chest almost always showing? Or about how girls have to wear default skirts? You're just being picky.
  7. GoldenPhoenix 97 Bone Serpent

look at your avatar its a girl waring a short skirt thing that has almost all the chest except for the breasts showing. if thats not being hypocritical then i dont know what is.
    Geneen, Rotface, Tctoocold and 7 others like this.
  8. KFK Squirrel

Then you don't know what is. If anything, that should help clue you in that the problem isn't a little exposed skin. It's that whoever drew that, and whoever signed off on it saw fit to use that kind of subject matter even when it's value is entirely lost. If that doesn't strike you as a strange choice worthy of a some scrutiny then I don't know what to tell you. I -obviously- found it quite jarring.

For the record, I don't think there's anything sinister or overtly sexist going on at Re-Logic. I don't think it even occurred to them that there was a problem here. That by itself is kind of a problem.

It's not just me either. My partner thought about rolling a male avatar to be sure she'd get sensible sprites. That is, unless some of the later male armor sprites go full on Sean Connery from Zardoz. If so, then all is forgiven. :p
  9. WolfMimir Cursed Skull

? i love the female sprites, and none is forcing you to make one >_>...dont complain on something that is optional
  10. kirabook ModMin

Wait, please explain again, what exactly is the problem? I'm not seeing it.
  11. Matsu Voodoo Demon

Well if you are really offended by it you could send an e-mail off to Redigit and Tiy (the artist) expressing your concerns and hope for a fix in the next patch. They probably meant no intentional harm by it.
  12. BigBoogerBot Dark Caster

You won't like the hallowed armor. That's a plate bikini top.

The adamantite also has the midriff exposed. I've been using the vanity slots to show different armor. Actually I like the cobalt one. It's missing the shoulders but I think it looks good. It's not tacky imo.
  13. Poring Cursed Skull

I never agreed with the female hurt cries, either. The skirt stuff and whatnot is kinda weird, too...

So in the end I'm glad that I'm a guy. And besides, there are more than enough of such tiny things in the game that you can complain about. Things you get distracted by, etc. If you really hate the armor you could use a texture pack or wear vanity armor.
  14. Marak Devourer

People rage about the most bizarre things. Are those 2 pixels of midriff really worth making an account and posting 8 paragraphs of rant over?
    FlexGun likes this.
  15. Hyrist Demon Eye

Honestly, the only problem here is the OP, who is making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's one piece of armor, that's not even high tier any more. This isn't an issue with sexism or tackyness so much as someone who disagrees with the stylization had for their particular favorite for their gender.

So what? Ugly armor exists in every game. Just switch to a different tier you end up liking better. Or, if you're TRUELY stuck on shadows, look up a mod to have the origonal chest back.

There is zero, absolutely no need to be making some issue about this.
    Omnir and Yaks like this.
  16. BigBoogerBot Dark Caster

There's actually 4 armors that are like that. Honestly I think it's a bit tacky. Although I just use different armors instead.

Or maybe 3. I think I'm mistaken about adamantite.
  17. Freakscar Green Slime

Wait, what? 2 lines of fleshcolored pixels get you all that worked up? You're kidding, trying to fool as many posters as possible, right? I mean, srsly. Theres countries, where women are abused, locked away, where sexual harrassment is a part of a country's history, theres a whole industry using young females as sexslaves and YOU'RE GETTING FREAKED OUT because a female designed armor shows two (TWO!) lines of flesh colored pixels?

I usually don't do this, and I willingly accept any kind of infraction for this, but: Please, go d.i.a.f.

The internet manages to make me speechless every day again..
    which would be funny, if it wasn't so sad.
    F.
    Infraction has been given for this message by Graceful Assassin. Details | Dec 5, 2011
    Chaoticredux and Matsu like this.
  18. Crisis Romantically Apocalyptic

I'm not going against what your saying... But what I will say is this...

If you do not like the armor, or how it looks, do not wear it. Or use some vanity items to cover up what you dislike.
  19. Deleth Slimed Zombie

Instead of being angry that the female shadow armor isn't to your liking, you should be angry that there's no female ninja vanity armor at all!
    And I think most changes, just like this one were made so they actually do look different. I was curious and made a female character to have a look at some of the armors. Without drastic changes you wouldn't be able to notice any difference with the Terraria graphic.

Oh and as it was pointed out before. Complaing about a armor being to revealing while using an avatar wich looks like that isn't really the smartest thing to do.
  20. Paused Cursed Man

I thought the midriff and skirts were a bit unnecessary. I would like to have to option of having pants as a female when I start out. I thought all these female sprite differences in armor and everything was just going to be having a chest. While I appreciate them trying to make some difference between the genders, I don't have to have skin showing to feel like I'm playing a female character. (It should have more pink, amirte? Kidding.)

I hope the people saying "If you don't like, don't use it" think of that the next time they come onto the forum to share dislike with the looks of the game's items. Good for you if you already follow your own advice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.