Two pictures as I prep for Hard Mode

Discussion in 'Player Creations & Screenshots' started by AllanWidner, Jan 8, 2013.

1. AllanWidner

AllanWidner Cursed Man

Fortunately I like gathering and building as much as challenging fights, so after failing at WoF a couple times I've been content to take my time making stuff, gathering resources, and doing more thorough prep of my world for Hard Mode. I've gotten enough coin to actually get some decent specs by reforging all my stuff (took several attempts to get anything useful on the Star Cannon - kept getting minus stats on it over and over), I've been gathering hundreds of stars for the Star Cannon, I extended the WoF arena by adding some emergency run-off areas in case I don't down him within the length of my fancy Demonite Brick floor, and I've completed sequestering - above and below ground - all current Corruption. I've even built well-lit and enclosed tunnels to several Demon Altars for the first batch of new ore spawns.

I capped these two pictures out of Terrafirma, a map viewer (no map editing that I could find, which is just fine with me - I prefer to edit in the world, block by block, while fighting monsters). One is the "town" I hope will be sufficient to protect NPCs from things like a Clown attack, the other is one of the less-imposing gate structures at the edge of a Corruption. The idea with the gate is I can be fighting mobs in the Corruption and run into the adjacent protected area without risking Corruptor spit contamination - glass wall goes all the way to a ceiling, and the wall below goes all the way to whatever depth grass won't grow. Town.JPG gate.JPG

Cricket likes this.
  2. Sinxar

Sinxar Bunny

Do you know that the corruption spreads through stone and sand also? Even if you cut it off by making a 4 block wide barrier from space to hell, you still have to deal with the new stripes of hallow/corruption when you kill the WoF then the random blocks of corruption when you break an altar. If it only does down to where the grass stops, it will go under the barrier.

Here is what I got in my latest world. I like this pattern as it seems more compact than the wide "V".
    Spirits are mean! (open)

spirits.jpg

The WoF Kill (open)

Random seeds on altar destruction (open)
    diagram.jpg

3. Voyager

Voyager Face Monster

From that last picture it seems you don't understand how corruption spreads.
    You need to take out the corrupt back wall because it spreads corruption in hardmode.

4. Bullseye55

Bullseye55 Fungo Fish

A corrupt backwall does not spread corruption.

Corruption spreads through Ebonstone, corrupt grass, vile thorns, and the like, also from world generation and the Wall of Flesh. This is from Terraria's source.

5. Cricket

Cricket Lava Slime

Hot damn that's some nice stuff there. Like others said, your corruption control measures aren't going to work in hardmode. I just gave up on controlling Hallow and Corruption because demon altar smashing spawns random patches of those two in random, unpredictable places. As for the WoF, I mainly used my Phoenix Blaster and Sunfury, as well as grav and water walking potions in case my bridge was too short (it ended up way too short). The house is great, it seems ready for hardmode.

6. Bullseye55

Bullseye55 Fungo Fish

It seems Redigit designed the Hardmode to spread the biomes, uncontrollably. All attempts at controlling it fail, due to all the factors in it spreading. This can prove a bit harsh for some builders.

7. PuLSe

PuLSe Cactus King

Beware of using too many chests in your world. I did that by accident, unknowingly, and created a nightmare from which, apparently, there is no real recovery. Despite the fact that I removed the excess chests, any new chest I create cannot be opened. I can only use existing chests, which I now move around as needed.

Also, if you have ambitious plans for building, I suggest a .wld that avoids Hardmode altogether...

8. AllanWidner

AllanWidner Cursed Man

Ack - there's a chest limit? Thanks for the heads-up. (Don't know if it makes a difference, all but maybe half a dozen of those chests were picked up and moved, not created.)

I am prepared to lose this one if it comes to that, I just want to see if I can keep this one viable through end game. Anything I build I can build again on another map, in fact I have two maps I won't activate hard mode on that I'm already doing other building projects on, and another I plan to do a Corruption-heavy Mordor-esque nightmare with when I have Adamantite gear to make building it less painful.

9. PuLSe

PuLSe Cactus King

Yeah, it makes a difference. I you're moving them around, no problem. If you create too many additional ones, problem...

10. Sercease

Sercease Herpling

Elevate your house above ground... spread prevented (to your home at least)

Let the rest of the world rot as you will need mats off pretty much every mob out there anyway and makes farming easier if they are close to your home / storage areas.

11. Tunnel King

Tunnel King Moderator Staff Member

I believe the limit on the number of chests is much higher than what you've got there, I think I recall it being something like 500 or 1000 (don't hold me to that). I know that I've had many more than what you have, and there are all-items maps and storage-world maps with what looks like hundreds of chests.

There's one more NPC that you'll get soon after entering Hardmode, you might want to prepare a room for him now. Your wooden entrance doors are vulnerable; I'd put wooden beams behind them so they only open outward (just face the other direction to open them from the outside), OR use active stone blocks/wire/switches in place of wooden doors.

Otherwise, your base looks very nice.

12. PuLSe

PuLSe Cactus King

Ya, I think the number for chests is 1,000. Since there seems to be no going back once you've crossed the line, I just wanted to offer an early warning, though there's no danger if you're simply using chests found elsewhere...

13. AllanWidner

AllanWidner Cursed Man

Thanks.
    I've wondered about the doors - especially after replacing doors ripped off by goblins. I've scavenged a few stacks of wire, switches, and active blocks that are all just setting in a chest, and I've been pondering uses for them.

14. Mythril Guy

Mythril Guy Voodoo Demon

Your corruption stopper looks fancy, and all those chest are not needed. You really only need like 10-20, sometimes 20-30 (if you tend to gather everything you get). Everything looks good, and you could also put a layer of dungeon brick 3 layers down below the grass so in case multiple clowns show up you'll be prepared.