Underground Pocket Biomes

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by King Lazer, Dec 9, 2011.

1. King Lazer Green Slime

I would like to see more small underground biomes. Right now the variation underground is quite limited. There are a few different layers, each having a handful of mobs, many of them palette-swapped slimes. I don't mean to complain about this (and killing slimes is always a good video game staple), but I feel like there's a treasure trove of potential waiting to be unlocked. Rather than adding more endgame material or super-outlandish space biomes (not that that wouldn't be cool, too) or whatever, why not add some texture to the depths of Terraria?

Think of the underground wooden structures that can now be found (and that I completely love- thanks Re-Logic!). Now imagine that there are 5 or 6 different varieties of things like that, but quite a bit bigger and more complex, each with 2 or 3 unique mobs.

I guess what I'm longing for is a little more of that Metroidvania flavor, where after traveling through the labyrinthine world a bit you start to remember incidental landmarks and it all starts to seem like a real location rather than a huge block of self-similar dirt and air pockets.

Handful of examples: Goblin mines, sunken gardens w/ trees, buried castle ruins, ice caves, crystal caves, fossil deposit, you get the idea.

Forgive me if all this is just completely obvious and it's a given that eventually something like this will be added. I just want the world below the surface to be a strange and wonderful adventure.
    J-50N, Wi§p, The Crazy Slime and 3 others like this.
  2. Fortis Squirrel

I agree with you, more pocket biomes would help to spice up underground exploring, and add variety to the early game. I can imagine the excitement one can get when spotting the edge of one of these biomes and digging eagerly in, much like when I spot the wooden walls of the underground cavern cabins.

If you don't mind me tooting my own horn a bit, I recently came up with a pocket type biome rather like what you're describing: The spider nest. http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/the-spider-nest.68475/ . Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
  3. Nostrilator Green Slime

I really like your ideas especially the fossil biome. However instead of it being just a biome with a few fossils in it it could be a gateway to some prehistoric realm... ALERT! Suggestion thread on a prehistoric biome inbound!
  4. Fortis Squirrel

In the way of actual contribution and not just a link, what about underground Tar pits? There could be enemies like the animated fossil skeletons, or tar men that rise up out of the surface of the tar to fling globs of it at you. Some of the flung globs could become weaker enemies, a slime or some such. It's also a new liquid that we could harvest in buckets and play around with. Something that could slow enemies down, and turn into a pool of fire when hit with any burning item. Even a dropped torch.

I'll expand and flesh out this more when I'm not so sleep deprived.
  5. King Lazer Green Slime

Yes, that is the sort of thing. I've always wondered why there aren't any spiders in Terraria. So many cobwebs. I had read that when I was checking to see if my suggestion would be redundant.

To be honest, the details of each biome don't concern me too much. I just want there to be wild variation in the underground in terms of appearance and mob diversity. When I first started playing 1.1, I started a new character and a new world. I didn't want to spoil anything, so I avoided browsing the wiki for a while, and was just going on the teasers and the patch notes.

36 new monsters! I can't wait! It wasn't until much later that I learned that virtually all of them are endgame, and I am looking forward to hard mode. But the journey into the earth is just so rote and homogenous still. Those underground cabins are a good start, but I want more. They don't even necessarily need to have new block types. Unique backgrounds and new mobs and maybe specific shaping of terrain/tunnels within would be terrific.

(although lots of new block types would be amazing and fantastic too.)
    Wi§p likes this.
  6. Mur-Mur Green Slime

this would be great!
  7. The Crazy Slime Green Slime

This idea is awesome. I completely aprove it! Underground random buildings, ancient temples, buried castles with golden chests, pre-generated torches around the caves. That would turn Terraria more... Alive! I support the idea!