Welcome!

Discussion in 'Console' started by 505Games, Sep 28, 2012.

1. 505Games

505Games 505Games Staff Member

Hello everyone, and welcome to the new console thread within Terraria Online!

PC is where it all began for Terraria and we feel honored to be coming on board to expand the Terraria world. We wanted to create this area so console chats can take place in its own space.

In the time leading up to release, we will give you as much information as possible on progress and developments. As we're still quite a way off, there are obviously certain things we can't answer just yet - but we assure you, as soon as we can, we will.

To clear a few things up, 505 Games does not own the rights to the PC version; so we're unable to answer any questions relating to updates for it. It's not that we're evading the issue; we are just not the publisher for that version and cannot speak on their behalf.

We really appreciate all your feedback and comments; while we may not be able to respond to everyone individually, rest assured that we will read every comment and aim to answer as many questions as we possibly can.

Trailer!: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-console-trailer.92461/

Cricket, DaftMemo, W1K and 8 others like this.
  2. Blu

Blu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for clarification - can't wait to see what you have to offer for console port players.

505Games likes this.
  3. kirabook

kirabook Ex-Min Staff Member

I probably won't be able to play the console version, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. c8

My first question is, will you be browsing the suggestion forum?
    Secondly, will the console version of the game be as... 'in-depth' at the PC version, or will it be more like an arcade game?

Also, I think you need to set this subforum to display recently replied to threads on the front page. *unless you're hiding it on purpose XD*

4. Kane

Kane Administrator Staff Member

I personally can't wait to try out the console one. I will have to save up and buy a console but it sounds exciting anyways to play Terraria on a new platform.

505Games likes this.
  5. Blu

Is there any chance of cross-console multiplayer support? Er, to clarify, will you be leaving in the ability to connect to servers via IP address so that those who play on consoles can play with those who use the PC version? Or will that be too complicated with the new content?

6. Kane

100% Sure this is impossible due to mostly MS Restrictions there has been exceptions but over all its just one of them things that are next to impossible just in regulations to policies. One the reasons you see it on PSN more then Arcade. I assume they will launch with a lot of tweaks and maybe bug fixes and etc. They have to reduce the memory foot print too I forgot what Terraria took but the amount of work for something like Torchlight and how their devs explained it was a ton of work a total rewrite pretty much.

7. Blu

Ah, bummer. I assume that's going to be a similar answer to Aham's query on map support?

8. Kane

I would assume it will have a slightly different save algorithm even if its not for compression all the id's of the blocks and etc might change. I don't know how much of a rewrite it is but I assume there will be so simple load an old map or anything like that on. Even if you can probably only a modded Xbox might be able to do that or whatever it is you do. I think on Xbox you sort of have to hack the drive or the flash drive to access that where PSN Might be able to just throw it on a flash stick. The good news at least for PSN is that it might be able to convert the editors over to use the PSN saves maybe xbox but I assume PSN would be easier.

9. Blu

That's a little surprising for me, since XNA is Microsoft :x I figured the Xbox would have at least a little more compatibility.

10. Kane

Well even from one PC version to the next while testing the game before it had come out had changed and improved the format over time making it not always compatible with the next version. Their might be a lot of changes or very little. But usually where PC to PC updates you would try make sure each time it works on xbox/psn there would be really no effort put into this as it would not be made or really need it.

11. Kelp

Kelp Moderator Staff Member

I'm in a similar boat to Kane, I will be content as long as it still feels like the PC version. About 6 of my friends on the Xbox are looking forward to it for various reasons so I'll have fun playing it with them.

It would be really nice if there was a map editor added so people can create custom maps like on other 'Arcade' games such as Trials Evolution.

12. Bobrocket

Bobrocket WANTS TO PUNCH STUFF

this.
    Xbox games are required to use XNA's -shitty- connection protocol, which is only xbox compatible. They will not work with TCP/IP the way current terraria does.

13. Loki ISP

Loki ISP Moderator Staff Member

If I get it, it will be Xbox....and will do so if the handful of folks I tried but failed to get to play Terraria on pc get this on arcade (I play both console and pc regularly). Regardless, very much looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

I have the same questions as Kira....plus a more general one around how you prefer to interact with communities around your games?

14. Spargris

Spargris Green Slime

Is it going to come for ps vita? I mean like how awsome wouldnt that be?

15. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

What kind of 'exclusive content' will be coming to the console? Will it be big game-changing updates or just minor bugfixes and items?

16. Oranje

Oranje THE Orange Troll

^Dat. What are ''they'' going to get that we aren't?

17. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

Don't worry, they don't got ma mods.

Bullseye55 and Oranje like this.
  18. Scizor300

Scizor300 Eskimo Zombie

So, I've got a few questions regarding this new and upcoming version.

Is the Console version using the same code, or is it being redone from the ground up?
    I ask this because Terraria's code is an absolute clusterfuck, which in turn is also one of the main factors behind its terrible performance on low-end computers. It shouldn't be shitting itself on a computer that is just barely unable to play TF2.

Will it have a reason to play instead over the PC version?
    Terraria's step back during 1.1 completely nullified a lot of fun the original version had, cutting out a marginal amount of progression to "make room" for hardmode, which in turn padded it out with excessive grinding and overpowered enemies. The console version should have enough content to at least double the playtime present in 1.1, if not a lot more, given that creating content for Terraria is somewhat easy compared to a lot of games. There wouldn't be any reason to play it if it was just a console 1.1.

How will the art be handled? Will it be completely the same or be revamped?
    Mostly out of my personal gripe with the character sprites being more or less ripped from Final Fantasy and the character customization being extremely lacking.

Price? Estimated release date? Etc.?
    How are the controls being handled in a console port? I hope to god you're not having a mouse-controlled cursor.

19. Lord Carver

Lord Carver Spore Zombie

Do you appreciate the negative feedback? Serious question that I'm sure you can answer. It doesn't intrude on your NDA.

20. Glaydur

Glaydur Lava Slime

Will Ouya be one of the consoles you will be releasing it to?