What would YOU have done differently if you were a Developer?

Discussion in 'PC' started by GrinnTech, Jan 19, 2013.

1. GrinnTech Mouse

I've seen plenty of posts about how people would do this, that or something else, Let's keep this clean, no hits below the belt, Try to refrain from personal attacks.

Main Topic: If you were a Developer for Terraria, what would you have done differently, and give your reasoning.

Sub-Topic: If you are PERFECTLY happy with how the game turned out, Tell us what they did right and what other developers should learn from them.
    ibowser123 likes this.
  2. KLouD KoNNeCteD Crimera

If I was Red I would have used all the money I made off Terraria on hookers and cheap booze.
  3. Stackerzgame Fungi Bulb

Made sure I could never say anything publicly to the community and only Blue could.
  4. W1K T3rr4r1a W1k1

I'm not saying Red shouldn't have been a greedy fucker.
    I'm just saying he at least had to try to not look like one.
    ^ dat
  5. Tunnel King Moderator

Once some of the money started coming in, I would have hired a couple more programmers. They could have been college students who'd have worked long hours for cheap. By now, they'd have been raking in cash from Terraria II and looking forward to III. Red saved money, but burned himself out trying to do it all himself (imo).

I've been there myself: being the primary developer for a small startup, working 100+ hrs a week, on call 24/7 because I was on the East Coast US and the product was being marketed in Hong Kong/Singapore/Indonesia. By the time the company folded (for lack of capital investment, not my software), I was so sick of programming that I ended up doing something completely different. And I was single; can't imagine doing that with a wife and kid and one on the way.
    GrinnTech likes this.
  6. GrinnTech Mouse

Some very good points here. The first I noticed was how you would have hired more Programmers. Truth is (and I know this from talking to many game programmers) There is usually no pay involved. They see it as something to do to get future recognition and something to get practice. But, yes, with more help, I too believe that Terraria would still be going strong on the PC with more updates and more ideas.
    I'm not quite sure of who did how much or any of that info, so I will leave that alone.
    Also, the family part you brought up is a HUGE point. Family comes first, I don't care who you are or what you do, but if you can't be there for your family, then why are you even married. Red made the right choice by taking care of his family. I've seen situations where both the Wife and Husband were programming together (D'awww) In fact, My fiancee asked if she could help me with my projects, without me even asking her, because she enjoys doing that stuff too. But I digress, It's understandable how Red was busy with the family.
  7. BingoWasHisNamo Penguin

I would have hired someone to keep updating Terraria, for one. I also wouldn't have fired Blue, he was awesome. I'm not sure what else to say, really as those are Red's 2 main mistakes.
  8. Trae? Green Slime

I probably would have revamped hard mode where there would be some sort of sky dongeon or better yet in space along with more things that would cause the hard mode bosses to come after you unlike just summoning them. Just make hard mode feel complete.
  9. Mythril Guy Voodoo Demon

I would have done it differently, as I'm not Redigit.
    Paringo likes this.
  10. W1K T3rr4r1a W1k1

Making hardmode feel completed would need a TOTAL REBALANCE. Just sayin'. Still some pretty "final boss" would've been pretty awesome.
  11. GrinnTech Mouse

Im waiting for more responses before I write another long paragraph
  12. Ezaro Green Slime

If I was a developer i would just destroyed their beloved prosessions associated with this shitty game and calling it a complete clone of Minecraft. Not to mention Blue is utterly a --------------------who is on a dating site, who's Red's husband
  13. GrinnTech Mouse

And you actually believe Encyclopedia Dramatica...Because?
  14. Ezaro Green Slime

Nope, i'm just your worst nightmare.
    Infraction has been given for this message by Kelp. Details | Jan 20, 2013
  15. GrinnTech Mouse

I'm hav'n a giggle, M8
  16. Kelp Moderator

As the OP says, let's try to keep this clean. :p
  17. Silverity Snow Flinx

If i was red i would've updated the game to support modding, and then sell over the PC rights to a different company and not keep the rights like an asshole screwing over his original customers.
  18. Classikly Flying Snake

The thread is what would you have done differently.
    Tunnel King, Silverity and ibowser123 like this.
  19. ibowser123 Eyezor

This, pretty much.
  20. KLouD KoNNeCteD Crimera

lol sorry I misread it. :D I guess I would have continued to update it but would have charged a couple bucks for each update. Of course the updates would be pretty expansive and certainly worth it.