Whats so bad about hamachi?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mathew Sky, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Mathew Sky

Mathew Sky Doctor Bones

Seriously, the only people that don't know how to use it hate it, am I right?

polar7rulz likes this.
  2. WolfMimir

WolfMimir Cursed Skull

do ppl hate it? i had no idea :eek:

polar7rulz and Gmodlol61 like this.
  3. wifidudejj

wifidudejj Cursed Skull

i hated it for that exact reason and now that i get how it works i dont have to have a rage.jpeg up all the time

4. Mikoto Misaka

Mikoto Misaka Voodoo Demon

No, you're wrong, Hamachi is easy as hell to use, people just hate it because why should you download a whole new program just for multiplayer servers with crappy connection.

polarhifly, SickBoy, Dreacus and 14 others like this.
  5. Mathew Sky

Mathew Sky Doctor Bones

better than nothing

6. Mikoto Misaka

*Better
    God that irritated me
    Anyways, dedicated servers are WAY less laggy than Hamachi

Defponx likes this.
  7. Mathew Sky

Mathew Sky Doctor Bones

edited, sorry and yes i agree but i use it last resort when the port isnt forwarded yet

8. Mikoto Misaka

It is good for when you can't find any servers that work.

9. eil

eil Green Slime

hamachi is often an only solution to play with someone having router problems/dynamic IP :)

10. Imnotahuman

Imnotahuman Cave Bat

That statement. It makes me very...... sigh.

11. Rainbow

Rainbow Green Slime

Useless shit which limits people to download a VPN system just to play one measly game.
    Port forwarding isnt that hard, there are even program's to make it simpler.

12. Kelp

Kelp Moderator Staff Member

Hamachi doesn't seem to work all the time, but it's better than nothing. Personally I would only ever use it if my ISP did not allow manual Port-Forwarding

The main reason I dislike Hamachi is because it is a potential security risk.

13. gigimoi

gigimoi Green Slime

Hamachi is barely more risky than forwarding a port.
    If it doesn't work, a restart fixes that
    Some ISPs do not allow port-forwarding/Static IP setup

Hamachi is no more laggy than any other server, except dedicated.

14. Allie

Allie Green Slime

Yeah, I agree with Kelp. I've had some major issues with it in the past.
    Getting a server client is definitely better.
    I only hate it when people sell some stuff and say "Come to my server, Hamachi ID..." Hell no, I ain't gonna come to Hamachi, I just want to log on the server, so I just usually invite them to mine. Some people often hesitate and end up not selling.

15. th3squirr3l

th3squirr3l Fire Imp

Better than "nothing"?
    You guys sound as if you think Hamachi is the first option...

And, "the only people that don't know how to use it hate it"?

Are you serious? It's completely the opposite!! Only people that can't figure out port forwarding use Hamachi. Honestly, port forwarding is rather simple. I'm not sure why people have so much trouble with it.

Dino462 and ribaldron like this.
  16. Mr.Person

Mr.Person Moth

Because people who join your hamachi can access your computer and fck it up badly. Also access all files. That's why I've stoped using it.

Merch likes this.
  17. kirabook

kirabook Ex-Min Staff Member

Not necessarily true I forwarded my ports easily, but still had problems due to the company we have. And I'm in college and forwarding their ports is a big no no, there's not much I can do. Some people use hamachi because they don't understand how to port forward, but I think a lot of people just don't have many options.

I quite dislike having to have something else to host my server, but I am still looking into other options. No way I can afford to buy a dedicated server and my attempts at finding a free provider has failed.

I use hamachi because it's the first one I've come across, I rarely play with anyone other than my brother anyway, I'm not one to go through the trouble of getting on someone elses hamachi server.

18. Kelp

Kelp Moderator Staff Member

Hate to seem like a jerk, but Port-Forwarding is a lot more secure than Hamachi.

Hopefully you know the difference between a WAN and LAN. Wide Area Networking (Port-Forwarding option) and the Local Area Networking (Hamachi). Now, while Hamachi is still typically not Local Area it does create a virtual one, meaning that if you do not have the proper security and the person on the opposite end knows their way around networks then your files could be at risk.

19. Mario Dan

Mario Dan Green Slime

I'm hoping for a future update that Terraria can handle this problem by himself.

20. Kraiten

Kraiten Eskimo Zombie

You're*
    God, you're irritating.