TConfig [wip] Decorative Town NPCs

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Phlebas, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Phlebas

Phlebas Spriter Staff Member

Decorative NPCs! You build a tile, the NPC appears and bases itself around that tile.
    Right now we have:

Sword Rack - Town Guard
    Counter - Barkeep
    Hen House - Chicken
    Trough - Cow
    House Door - Farmer
    Simple Door - Crone
    City Door - Townsman or Townswoman

ClearNPC item will zap away a friendly NPC.

townNPCs.png

The cow wandered off!

taking suggestions for more. and could use some better screenshots with appropriate houses and settings.

EDIT: oh yeah the download link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9719966/terraria/TownNPCs.obj

2. Jojiro

Jojiro Hornet

If you die enough times, and have enough tombstones, you get a gravekeeper: counts the times you've died in the world

Pianist with player-placed piano (since natural ones can spawn): plays music

Chinaman if you make a silk lantern and place it: appears in hardmode, sells light and dark shards

Dancer with disco ball: walks backwards, says weird things

Clockmaker with Grandfather clock: sells copper and silver watches, but not gold

Potter with vase/pot/bowl placement: he sells pots, bowls, vases

Librarian with enough bookcases: she tells you about magic books

Lonely Girl with the first lamppost you place: she says she's waiting for her date, he told him he'd find a jungle rose (if you talk to her with the tux set on she mistakes you for her date)

Town Guard should be able to fight.

Barkeep should sell beverages

Cow should drop leather directly if killed

Chicken is a chicken. Idk.

3. Phlebas

good ideas! however the first step is decorative npcs, not functional. also added the download link, whoops.

4. pullthewires

pullthewires Green Slime

This looks like exactly the kind of mod that I'm after! Here's my suggestion: A door for a basic villager. Not like the doors already in the game, but one that is in the background layer and appears to be an entrance into the world behind the playing area. That way you get the basic decorative NPC as well as the cosmetic appearance of there being more to your settlement than just the 2D view in the game. Behind those doors could be anything.

There could even be a small variety of doors with different connected NPCs - a simple wooden door summons a peasant farmer, dressed like a yokel. Maybe (s)he could even run after the cows and chickens you've created. A stone door is for a townsman, dressed a little bit more sophisticated. Stone and glass make a fancy door - and the wealthiest looking villager. That way you can decide the look and feel of your settlement by the doors you use. Maybe an iron door would summon a simple guard NPC to protect the others...

I imagine it's too much to ask to have the NPCs go in and out of the doors occasionally, since I guess that would mean they temporarily disappear then reappear.

My other suggestions is a tiered system of miner NPCs.
    First of all you have to hire the Foreman. He has quite a high demand in terms of resources (an expensive item is needed to summon him). He acts as a merchant, selling the items that you need to get the other miner NPCs, because he's the boss of your mining operation. Once he's in your town, you can start hiring the other miners.
    The cheapest one is the Stone Miner NPC item. The stone miner, once summoned, will give you a quantity of stone once per day if you talk to him.
    Then it's the Copper Miner. Like the Stone Miner but more expensive, he gives you a (smaller) quantity of copper ore every day.
    The Iron Miner is next. He is yet more expensive, and gives an even smaller amount of iron ore every day.
    The final, and most expensive one, is the Gold Miner. He gives a tiny amount of gold ore every day.

These miners don't actually go out and mine in the world - they do their "work" in the world in the background (can you see a theme in my ideas?), and you just get the rewards. I imagine they would all be quite expensive to get hold of, since they give you a never ending trickle of ores. So when you've got a big settlement and a powerful character, you don't have to worry about the basic metals any more for building your furnishings for your house.

What do you make of these ideas?

EDIT: I've tried the mod. Works exactly as described. I really hope you can expand this further!

5. Jojiro

Jojiro Hornet

Decorative, huh.

In that case just have everyone from your 'Look Spritely Now' thread.

Especially the Giraffetaur and Mermaid.

So much decorative that it hurts my sides from laughing. From the Giraffetaur, I mean. :D

6. Phlebas

hmm. Good ideas. The miners might have to wait a bit- like i said, decorative comes first, then functional.

Farmer.png

House Door - Farmer added.

7. Phlebas

made a Townsman, Townswoman, and Crone.

TownNPCs.png

don't have tiles for them yet, though. Suggestions?

smokesjackson likes this.
  8. Bullseye55

Bullseye55 Fungo Fish

Phlebas, is it OK if I can examine the source and include some in my mod sometime?

Just want to get your permission.

9. Phlebas

Of course, feel free. It's not complicated since Yoraizor made the NPC ini settings (dontRelocate and dontDrawFace).

Bullseye55 likes this.
  10. Bullseye55

Bullseye55 Fungo Fish

Thanks for giving me permission. I'll be working on them soon. :p

11. Modder35342

Modder35342 Bunny

Love seeing immersive stuff like this. So much better than those hundreds of pointlessly overpowered weapon reskins.

Yoraiz0r likes this.
  12. smokesjackson

smokesjackson Snow Flinx

haha your cow is amazing

13. Modder35342

Modder35342 Bunny

A couple of issues I noticed with the mod:

At least some of the NPCs arrive into your settlement even if you don't have the prerequisite tile. I had a message about Bessie moving in almost as soon as I loaded an existing world (no Trough).

Also, the NPCs don't leave when you remove the tile and there's currently no way to get rid of them. When you replace the tile or place a second one, another copy of the NPC will appear. I now have 3 unkillable copies of Harry walking around. This is actually not bad for chickens and cows, since you can make them killable (friendly=False) and use the mechanic to spawn several of them around a single trough or hen house. In this case, it'd make sense to either use generic "cow" and "chicken" or give them a wider selection of unique names. Several similar-looking town guards would also make sense, but there's got to be a way to remove them without making them killable. Also, right now they'd all be sharing the name "Jerry".

14. Phlebas

Bessie had some unnecessary code, that has been fixed.

Added a ClearNPC item to zap away friendly NPCS.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9719966/terraria/TownNPCs.obj

15. guyguyga

guyguyga Slimed Zombie

16. Karda4124

Karda4124 Bunny

Ooooo. I love NPCs. How do I install this?

17. skulledrebel

skulledrebel Zombie

You'll need tConfig, should be on the front page of Client/Server Mods + Tools. If you have that installed just drag and drop this .obj file into your (My) Documents/My Games/Terraria/Modpacks folder.

18. Sandro

Sandro Mouse

Nice MOD . Bring it on with more and more NPC :D if i get ideas ill post them ^^

19. Sandro

Sandro Mouse

Heyyyyyyyyyyy Look at the attached image!! Wth? lol i got a smaaaalll NPC xD its Bug or?
    Sem Título.jpg

20. Karda4124

Karda4124 Bunny

How do I get the tiles in the mod?