[WIP/Released] tConfig Quest Mod

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Wigglesniff, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Wigglesniff Slimer

I have been working on a tConfig quest mod where you use quest scrolls to get quests involving killing different types of enemies. This mod has enhanced multiplayer support and even includes NPCs from other mods.
    V1.0.4 Download

Enhanced multiplayer support where everyone on the same team shares a common quest that they can work together on.

TEASERS!!!! (open)

2012-06-06_00003.jpg
    2012-06-06_00004.jpg
    2012-06-06_00005.jpg
    2012-06-06_00006.jpg
    2012-06-06_00011.jpg
    2012-06-06_00015.jpg
    2012-06-06_00017.jpg 2012-06-06_00018.jpg 2012-06-06_00019.jpg

screenshots are outdated.... There now is an interface below your item hotbar and buffs

-In multiplayer everyone on the same team is working together to complete the same quest.

-All enemies that have health and do damage are included into the quest generator(Including modded in ones)

-The number of enemies you have to kill is a random number between
    (1, defense/2+((life-100)+mana)/20 + 1)
    i.e. you have: 12 defense , 180 health, 40 mana
    4/2 + ((180-100) + 40 )/20 + 1=9
    So you would have to kill between 1 and 15 of an enemy.
    (In multi-player it is the total of everyone on your team)

-Bosses are also included but you only have to kill them once to complete the quest.

-The different NPCs that you can get quests for are calculated by your level and the level decided for the NPC by SQS

-you get rewards for completing quests

-Quests Scrolls create quests and you can make as many as you want, they are free :) (Will be given by an NPC in 1.1)

-You can only have one quest active(this quest can be overwritten though)

-Quests are saved between plays

-Currently there are only NPC killing quests(different types in 1.1)

Change Logs (open)

1.0.4 (open)

-Multiplayer now has better support
    -In multiplayer everyone on the same team shares a quest(i.e. If 2 people are on the blue team they would be working together to complete the same quest)
    -Fixed some more bugs

1.0.3 (open)

-Added source
    -Fixed a bug that froze the game on use of the quest scroll

1.0.2 (open)

-Minor bug fixes

1.0.1.1 (open)

-Minor bug fixes

1.0.1 (open)

-quests reward coins
    -Minor bug fix

1.0.0 (open)

-All enemies that have health and do damage are included into the quest generator(Including modded in ones)

-The number of enemies you have to kill is a random number between
    (5,defense/2+(life+mana)/20 + 2)
    i.e. you have: 12 defense , 180 health, 40 mana
    4/2 + ( 180 + 40 )/20 + 2=15
    So you would have to kill between 2 and 15 of an enemy.

-Bosses are also included but you only have to kill them once to complete the quest.

-The different NPCs that you can get quests for are calculated by your level and the level
    decided for the NPC by SQS

-you will not get any awards for completing quests yet, this will be in 1.0.1

-Quests Scrolls create quests and you can make as many as you want, they are free

-You can only have one quest active(this quest can be overwritten though)

-Quests are saved between plays

-This should work in multiplayer(not tested)

-Currently there are only NPC killing quests(different types in 1.1)

PoroCYon, Jakota, Coldfront and 2 others like this.
  2. Untouchablekill Cursed Skull

Seems legit, would love to see it get finished, perhaps some gathering and building tasks? Granted the building tasks would be absed on players hp and gear along with community made ones (Because those are pretty good in most cases)
  3. Jegalo Doctor Bones

Nice idea, but I like the quest giving NPC better. Or, maybe even have all NPCs be able to give quests (That might be too hard, though) The other thing:
    You should have it so that the first two variables alter what the third variable can come out as. Because, if not, one of the quests could be, "Kill 1 Green Slime. Reward: Excalibur" - - That just wouldn't work out. xD
    Seir and Firestone11 like this.
  4. BlogDog123 Giant Worm

This is a very good idea! I can't wait for it to come out.
    Firestone11 likes this.
  5. Wigglesniff Slimer

Yeah, I'm doing that, I think ranger didn't quite understand what I meant though. I'm also thinking about making it strictly resources that you can receive comparable to what the quest was.

Kill 10 Hornets - reward 5 stingers + 10 silver
    Kill 25 Slimes - reward 15 gel + 10 silver
    Kill 20 Eaters - reward 10 rotten chunks + 15 silver
    And so on...
  6. Jegalo Doctor Bones

Though that would be cool, it may be harder than just having the variables lower down the amount of choices for the random number generator. I may be wrong, but it just seems that way. Also, what will be the limit of the amount of quests you could have, at one time? And one more thing, you could have them grant you a buff, for a short amount of time, as a reward. (Just a thought)
  7. Untouchablekill Cursed Skull

I like what your saying and I agree BUT you would want the player to do an eminence amount of quests to their hearts content which is where the random number generator comes in.
    The only problem with this, is you get more gels then rewarded and so you may have to think of something else to go with it, maybe a potion or two. I could help out with the quest rewards and all that if you would like maybe toss some ideas around and see where it goes from there.
    Firestone11 likes this.
  8. Wigglesniff Slimer

I think as of now, the quest will only give you a certain amount of one item(depending on the quest) along with coins for.

It will have to be one, because of the way our quest system is set up.

This could be a possibility, it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

I see what you are saying. There will be a way to cancel quests, so if you don't need an item you can cancel the quest.

We might throw in a random potion though, that's a good idea.
  9. rangerofthewest Raincoat Zombie

Our system is a set of randomizers. The hardest part is making the reward appear, but other than that, it's pretty easy.
    It also does it completley randomly, although we will add in more quests. I believe with our system, it could even work with mod NPC's, although I am a bit uncertain.
    So as of now, there are two randomizers. One for enemies, one for ores. The ore randomizer can have 15,000 possible quests, the enemy randomizer 145,000 possible quests. If we incorporate rewards, according to difficulty, we can have 250 million+ quests generated. Special quests will be put in manually, and there wouldn't be near that many. An updated version of this goes off of your defense and life.

1) Sees what defense*20 equals
    2) Sees what defense is
    3) Now, the computer calculates a random number in between defense and defense*20. This is the amount of enemies you have to kill
    4) The computer checks your life. If it exceeds certain levels, it chooses enemies
    5) It gives you your quest!
  10. BlogDog123 Giant Worm

Or the NPCs could give quests based on what they do.

For example...

Dryad could ask for some jungle seeds...
    Mechanic could ask for dart traps...
    Wizard could ask for fallen stars...
    Guide could ask for simple monsters to be slain...
  11. Wigglesniff Slimer

I'm not so sure about modifying previous NPC's...
  12. BlogDog123 Giant Worm

Why not?
  13. rangerofthewest Raincoat Zombie

It's actually pretty easy to modify, but this modification isn't easy to apply. Otherwise I'd do it.
  14. Untouchablekill Cursed Skull

Well, I like the idea of a quest NPC, maybe the guide NPC with different colors and all that
  15. Wigglesniff Slimer

It's pretty hard in T-Config as far as I know to completely re-write base code... not sure though, I can check into it.
  16. rangerofthewest Raincoat Zombie

It isn't really. Changing mechanics is. But the particular change mentioned here is difficult to add in.
  17. Wigglesniff Slimer

So T-Conifg supports rewriting methods?
  18. rangerofthewest Raincoat Zombie

Yep. You can change any file. :D So a copper shortsword can be changed to cost 1 wood and do 999999 damage and hit everything on screen. I'm writing up the code for the quest scroll.
  19. Darkercloud Lava Slime

This mod sounds amazing, Looking forward to it's release.
  20. BlogDog123 Giant Worm

Same here. Especially if it added other things.