Would appreciate an opinion on a new smart phone card trick I created!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HersheyMagic2, Nov 27, 2012.

1. HersheyMagic2 Green Slime

About to release a new magic trick called Smart Phone Card Trick. Let me know what you think if you like!

2. Stackerzgame Fungi Bulb

I think you have the wrong url good sir. This is not a magic trick forum, but a forum for a video game called "Terraria". Now please leave and share your cute little trick elsewhere.
  3. HersheyMagic2 Green Slime

Figured it's a great match. Kids love online games and kids love magic.
  4. Classikly Flying Snake

I think it's all right as long as it's put in the Off-Topic section.
  5. Stackerzgame Fungi Bulb

This game isn't online. If you came here just to advertise your videos, you should leave.
    Jeckel likes this.
  6. Classikly Flying Snake

Wonder if this is any better than bots.
    Loki ISP likes this.
  7. Stackerzgame Fungi Bulb

Somewhat better.
  8. Loki ISP Moderator

Moving to off topic....will see how it goes from there.
  9. Klapp Tortoise

This had better involve both blackjack and hookers.
    nogloxiator likes this.
  10. nogloxiator Fire Imp

If it doesn't, I will commit Seppuku.
  11. Lord Carver Werewolf

I have a better trick for an iphone. But you may not get it back in the same amount of pieces afterwards.

Step 1: I take the phone and cover it with a paper towel.
    Step 2: I say magic words.
    Step 3: I smash it many many times with a baseball bat.

Fun Fact: People will pay a lot for tickets to this.

Fun Fact: The difference between my phone and yours is that my phone is a phone not a mobile angry birds gaming system.
    nogloxiator, Loki ISP and Classikly like this.
  12. The thread's a great match, actually. Bots love spamming these forums, and trolls love posting the wrong thing in the wrong place.

Whichever you are, there you go.
  13. nogloxiator Fire Imp

Carver, I have an even better trick. It ends with KABOOM and bodies.
  14. Bobrocket WANTS TO PUNCH STUFF

japan is pretty cool and all, but hiroshima's the bomb
    Shock Horror likes this.
  15. Classikly Flying Snake

No. Just no.
  16. Because making fun of other countries' disasters which took countless lives is good comedy. So, what's next, a 911 joke, or something about putting people in a camp? :rolleyes:
  17. Jeckel Moderator

I wouldn't call what Bobrocket said funny or witty, and it barely, if at all, qualifies as "comedy", but it isn't like holocaust or 911 jokes are that uncommon. I think you would be surprised at how many comedians were out the day after the planes hit, doing 911 material in New York clubs that many times were without power and still covered in the dust from the buildings. There is no better medicine, especially in a tragic situation, than comedy, because without humor you are just left with the pain, suffering, and horrificness of the situation. In short, call a bad "joke" bad, but there are no topics that are off limits and can't be made fun of.

ON TOPIC:

Not sure why this thread didn't get immediately locked for blatant advertising, but since it didn't, I'll go ahead and give my ranty opinion.

Programming:

I'm not going to say much here, other than I don't care for apps. In much the same say that I assume experienced chefs dislike microwavable meals being called "artisan". Using this app as an example, you basically wrapped some calls to the built in hardware, I'm guessing through a nice developer-friendly API, made a database query across the web, and display the query's returned image. Yea, that is totally worth charging people money instead of doing what good programmers have been doing for years and giving trivial software away for free. Note, if the app is free, then ignore that part, but as addressed below, I couldn't find a price for it on your site.

Web Business:

I checked out the linked website, smartphonecardtrick.com, and it is down right embarrassing.

After scrolling past the 856x856 pixel banner (really, a 589 KB banner image? Really?!) I was greeted by the normal navigation links and standard sized banner one expects on a website, making me wonder why the over-large image at the top of the page was even necessary. However, there is no need to wonder if the second bar of duplicate navigation links under the second banner image is necessary... it isn't.

All of that is forgivable, people don't really care about site layout when they come to buy a product, as long as a "buy my shit" link is easy to find and on the site the buy link was noticeable enough. However, it is here that the site breaks the number one rule of an online business: People can't buy your product if they can't find a damn link for it!

There is no price on the buy page, no link to an app store, download location, or shopping cart page. There is one link to a "Magic City" and the linked page didn't show the smartphonecardtrick app any where at all. People with more money than brains buy dumb little apps all the time and I can only imagine how many dozens of dollars you have lost by people making it to the buy page and just saying fuck it.

Magic:

You should be ashamed even calling this a "magic trick".

Never mind that the mechanics of the trick is fully explained on the website's front page. We'll just ignore that telling people how a trick is done is the exact opposite of what instilling wonder through illusion is all about and breaks, at least the popularized version, of the magicians' code.

Blatantly using a piece of technology to do something is in no way a trick. Putting a phone on an upside down card and then having the phone display the card isn't going to amaze people, they are just going to shrug and go "yea, technology".

What is next, going to the airport and amazing people with your psychic powers by telling them what is in their luggage when it goes through the x-ray machine? Or telling them what kind of coffee is in their cup, only by running it through a mass spectrometer!! Maybe one could banish the darkness with only their wizardly might and a flashlight! Or blow peoples minds by allowing them face-to-face communication to someone on the other side of the world, only using a smartphone and skype!!!!

In summary, I give this app a zero out of 10. No matter what it costs, it is overpriced. The website is laughable and doesn't provide prospective costumers with a way to buy the product, at least not without wasting time searching a third-party site. The card trick app itself makes the fushigi ball look like a sterling example of commercial magic products.

This slick salesman created an account just to advertise their product, only has two posts both in this thread, and hasn't been back since the day the thread was created. Not sure what part of this situation even suggested that it shouldn't have been locked on day one, but either way, the answer to this threads fate seems pretty clear at this point.
  18. Loki ISP Moderator

Because, sometimes, open blunt honesty is a better discouragement than shutting down....and it's in off topic.

If folks feel it should be locked now, that's fine too.

The "joke" was tone deaf.
  19. Jeckel Moderator

Ah, ok. Guess it can't hurt to keep one of these people around for the entertainment value ever now and then.
    Loki ISP likes this.